Apr 18, 2023
Sleeman Breweries named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers
Sleeman Breweries has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers through the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project. As the third-largest brewer in Canada, and with operations across the country, Sleeman Breweries is making significant strides to protect the environment.
“Sleeman Breweries’ commitment to environmental sustainability is a cornerstone of our organization,” says Hiroaki Kitaoka, President and Chief Executive Officer of Sleeman Breweries Ltd. “It matters to our leaders, our employees, and our consumers. Earning this recognition shows Canadians that Sleeman values our planet and is making business decisions that will have a positive impact for future generations.”
The award celebrates several important initiatives at Sleeman Breweries, including the organization’s:
- Environmental Policy, which was launched in 2022
- Outstanding 97% waste diversion rate (from landfill)
- National and local Green Teams that organize environmental initiatives and education, including Earth Day and Waste Reduction Week events
- On-site treatment of 100% of its effluent waste streams in Guelph, which minimizes the load on municipal wastewater systems
- Upgraded equipment and modified brewing processes that save water
- Delivery routing software that has created significant energy efficiencies
Sleeman Breweries’ Environmental Policy focuses on reducing the company’s impact on climate change; promoting and implementing the 3Rs of reduce, reuse and recycle; and sustaining the natural environment through employee and community engagement.
Martin Durocher, Vice-President of Human Resources, says this focus on the environment resonates with employees. “People have a lot of choices these days and one of them is to choose to be with a company that aligns with their values.”
This is the second time Sleeman Breweries has received a Canada’s Greenest Employer designation. The company was also a recipient in 2019.